Star anise chocolate fondant
50g dark chocolate
1 egg yolks
50g plain flour
2 tsp cocoa powder
A little additional butter (for greasing moulds)
5 gm star anise powder
2 scoops chocolate ice cream
- Pre-heat oven to 275°C. Grease moulds with additional butter. Melt butter and chocolate in a bowl, sitting in hot, but not boiling water.
- In a separate bowl, mix cocoa powder, star anise and flour until well combined and lump free.
- In another clean bowl, beat eggs and yolks with the sugar until light and foamy.
- Carefully fold in the melted butter/chocolate and then the cocoa/flour mixtures. Try not to over mix, as this will release the air we just beat into the eggs/sugar. Pour mixture into the greased moulds (3/4 full only, as mixture will rise during baking) and bake for approximately 10-12 mins.
- The fondant should not be fully cooked, they should still be considerably liquid and soft in the centre. Remove and let cool slightly.
- Serve with chocolate ice cream and candied orange garnish.
NB: The star anise can simply be omitted for those that don’t like the spice. However, I recommend trying it with it first as it does offer an interesting twist to such a ubiquitous dish.